March 7, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

Hello, hello, hello.

Today is a happy day. For no other reason that I think there should be more happy days documented and appreciated in a person's life. Maybe someone else didn't really have a happy day today but that shouldn't try to stop you from still having your own happy day, at least every once in a while.

So what is so happy about today? Well, today I have made it through one whole week of being 24. And really, so far, it's been pretty sweet. For my birthday I drank. and drank. I got to see some really good friends outside of school for a change. People generally all seem to be pretty happy! Some people that I had been on less than congenial terms with are showing a renewed interest in wanting to "set things right". Some people that I have always sort of known, I am getting to know better. This past week I have made some decisions with what I hope to get done over the next 6 months. I am enjoying new music and am going to all kinds of shows in the near future.

School's really good. I am finally beginning to see some hope in the solid waste problems that plague our cities. I am working on a the design of a water treatment plant. I am realizing the impact that heavy industry has on our environment and the measures that need to be taken to minimize the "ecological footprint". The only thing that remains is to decide whether I should focus my career in water, air, or soil. Easy right?

What else...I'm still reading. Blood of the Earth: The Battle for the World's Vanising Oil Resources is today's EPL selection. I have yet to finish Clive Doucet's "Urban Meltdown" which talks about sprawl and development of our cities. It's different because the writer is a city councillor/poet, but it's pretty good too. The book "Sabateurs" by was a little bit of an eye-opener with respect to the problems associated sour gas flaring. It was a bit whacky because it was based on the trials and tribulations of Wiebo Ludwig's "battle against Big Oil". In my opinion, he was just a stubborn and religious family-oriented man that was born in the wrong Century, who happened to have a couple strokes of really bad luck.

Just before I turned 24, I was in Sherbrooke, Quebec, drinking steady for 4 nights. I also was able to ride down our concrete toboggan in 2 out of the 3 runs. I crashed twice. Plus last year when I rode, I crashed also. 3 for 3 for me. Either way, it was a blast. There were some great people there and I can't wait to try it once more next winter! Then I graduate. Time to get real. Alright. Books to read. I'm off!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the blog world after...7 months?

    Good to hear stuff is going well...you sound faaar too optimistic.

    ReplyDelete